How They Work, Who Benefits Most & Tips for Success
What's on this page
- 7 Reasons to Choose 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College
- Who Benefits from 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College
- How do Effective 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) College Programs Work?
- Transferring from an 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College to a 4-year School
- How to be Successful at 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Learning
- Additional Resources for 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Learners
Community colleges have long been a more financially viable alternative to four-year colleges and universities. There were more than 5.7 million students enrolled in public two-year universities in 2016, the American Association of Community Colleges reports. And with the rise of the digital classroom, more and more students are opting to enroll in two-year community colleges to begin their academic journey.
Community colleges are a great place to test the academic waters and save money at the same time. This guide was created to help students learn more about the online community college experience, from tuition costs to insight on how online learning programs work. Students can use this guide to determine if enrolling in an online community college is the right fit for them.
7 Reasons to Choose 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College
There are many reasons why students choose community colleges over four-year universities, but cost savings definitely is a primary factor.
- According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average cost of full-time in-state tuition at public two-year colleges for the 2016-2017 academic year was just over $4,000. That compares favorably to average in-state tuition cost of $7,800 at public four-year colleges. Of course, tuition costs are much lower at certain institutions, and much higher at others.
- For instance, tuition costs at Los Angeles Trade Technical College are an incredibly low $43 per unit. Average cost of tuition at all private, non-profit four-year universities, meanwhile, was $27,276 for the 2016-2017 school year. Students don't have to mortgage their economic future with years of student loan debt for higher education when they enroll in community colleges.
- Tuition rates at online community colleges varies by institution. Many online community colleges accept students at in-state tuition rates, meaning distance learners don't pay steep out-of-state tuition rates. That's the case at Waubonsee Community College in Aurora, Ill., which charges in-state students and distance learners the same fee of $126 per semester hour.
- Other community colleges, meanwhile charge distance learners an “e-learning” rate, which is lower than out-of-state tuition but higher than in-state costs. For instance, in-state tuition at John Tyler Community College in Chester, Va. is $151 per credit hour. The college's e-rate for out-of-state distance learners is $254 – which is 37 percent less than the cost out-of-state students who enroll in on-campus programs pay at $348 per credit. Distance learners often must pay modest technology and other additional fees that colleges use to enrich their online content and programming.
- Community college is a great place for students to dip their toes into college waters in a more comfortable and relaxed setting – especially for those students who weren't strong high school students. Class sizes are typically smaller, so students can expect greater interaction with and accessibility to their professors that can help them perform better in the classroom.
- Students also can complete much of the required coursework for a bachelor's degree at community colleges. According to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, more than 40 percent of students who earn baccalaureate degrees first earned associate degrees at community colleges. Community colleges typically have transfer agreements in place with various four-year institutions, so students who earn associate degrees can transfer as juniors and not have to repeat any general education coursework.
- Distance education at online community colleges allows for a greater school-life balance since students can study when it's most convenient for them. Community colleges often offer night and weekend classes to better accommodate busy student's schedules, another layer of flexibility that leads to better school-life balance for community college students.
Brandy Scarnati, program director for Truckee Meadows Community College's WebCollege in Reno, Nev., says flexibility is a prime consideration for students who enroll at online community colleges. “A lot of our students work full time and have family responsibilities, but also would like to attend college to better their education,” Scarnati says. “By being able to take online classes, students can set their own schedule and study when they find time. Students may be able to fit in more classes into their schedule than if they were on a campus due to less travel time and the flexibility of completing the course work at home.”
Who Benefits from 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College
Historically, community college students are a much more diverse demographic than the student bodies at four-year universities, and that holds true for distance learners as well.
Students at online community college typically fall into the following categories:
- Students new to the college experience
- Transfer students
- Returning students who have been away from college for few years or more and are wrapping up degree requirements or starting anew
- Military and veteran students
- International students attending college on F-1 Visas.
- High school students earning early college credit
All of these student demographics can benefit from attending online community colleges.
Additionally, most community colleges have open admissions policies to help students easily begin their academic careers. This can be especially helpful for students who struggled in high school since they won't need strong academic transcripts for admission like they would if they were applying at a competitive four-year university. Students also can benefit from taking classes part time so they can continue working full time to support themselves and their families.
Brandy Scarnati of TMCC in Reno says any prospective student can benefit from taking classes at an online community college. “Students take classes at a community college to receive their A.A. degree, which can be completed online,” she says. “Students also attend community colleges to gain the industry skills needed to receive a promotion or gain employment with a company. Students may also take online classes for personal knowledge and growth.”
How do Effective 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) College Programs Work?
First and foremost, prospective online students should understand the nature of the digital classroom.
What it's not
Picture boot-camp style training at a fitness facility. An instructor barks orders and instills motivation to help people get difficult work done. That's not the case with online learning – there's no formal classroom, so it can be easy to slack off on responsibilities since students don't see instructors face-to-face. Students are responsible for self-motivation, and they can easily fall behind if they don't establish a proper study habits.
What it is
A highly flexible learning environment that allows students to pursue higher education at their own pace. That said, time management and self-discipline are at a premium. Distance learners also must possess a modicum of technological savvy, since online courses require use of a digital content management system and communication tools such as email, chat and even video conferencing.
Here are several other important questions prospective distance learners often ask about online community college programs:
What kinds of support services are available to online students?
What kinds of degrees are available at online community colleges?
How do I apply to online degree programs, and what happens once I complete the registration process?
How will I communicate with professors and other students?
电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Class Formats
Colleges deliver online classes in a variety of formats through content management systems such as Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas or Desire2Learn. The formats mentioned below are the most common delivery options:
Classes are delivered entirely online with no face-to-face interaction with instructors. However, students still may have to take proctored exams on campus or through an approved proctoring service.
- Hybrid or blended
- Web-enhanced or web-assisted
Cable broadcast or video lecture
Courses are delivered through local cable television or via pre-recorded videos.
Hybrid or blended courses combine traditional on-campus study with online learning activities. Students still meet with instructors, but “seat time” is reduced in favor of digital learning.
Classes are held on campus, but professors direct students to an online content management system for course syllabus, assignments, handouts and other course materials.
There's no set formula for the way community colleges choose to deliver online content. Students should check with their prospective community colleges about online delivery options and content management platforms prior to registration to ensure classes are delivered in a format with which they are comfortable.
Transferring from an 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College to a 4-year School
Community colleges across the country help foster easy transition to four-year universities through transfer agreements with select four-year colleges and universities.
- Students who complete a transfer degree online at California Virtual Campus are guaranteed admission into any institution in the California State University System. It's the same for students who complete an associate degree from any institution in the Virginia Community Colleges system – they are guaranteed admission to several dozen Virginia-based colleges and nine other colleges and universities as well. And the North Carolina Community College system has a comprehensive articulation agreement with public universities in the state that governs transfer of credits between the state's public community colleges and universities. Students whose ultimate goal is to earn a bachelor's degree should check with their prospective institutions about transfer agreements prior to enrollment at the community college level.
- Students also should consider formulating a transfer plan by investigating potential transfer institutions and consulting with their academic advising faculty to select a major, learn more about general education requirements and all factors of lower-division curriculum that they can complete while enrolled at their community college.
- Some community colleges also have tuition reciprocity agreements so that residents in certain areas don't have to pay higher tuition fees. Lastly, students should take great care to ensure that their community college has regional or national accreditation, since colleges typically only accept previously earned credit from properly accredited postsecondary institutions.
电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Community College Checklist for Students
Students who've made the decision to enroll in an online community college should follow these eight steps as a checklist for what's needed to become a distance learner.
You may never set foot on campus, but many colleges offer virtual tours of their facilities.
- Apply for admission
- Research tuition costs, and scholarships and financial aid information
- Submit reading and math test scores
- Complete orientation for online classes
- Register for classes
- Familiarize yourself with campus services
- Log in and begin your educational journey
The first step in the admittance process is filing out an online application. Students also can drop by their prospective college's registrar's office and fill one out in person.
The struggles of paying for college has derailed many a student. Begin this process as early as possible to ensure you meet deadlines for federal financial aid and potential scholarships. Filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step.
Colleges need to know students ACT scores to ensure they meet minimum competency requirements for English and math. Students who have been away from high school for many years should consult with their college's admissions office – they may have to take placement tests. Colleges may also require high school transcripts.
Many colleges require distance learners to complete an online orientation prior to registration.
Once students have been formally accepted to a community college, they are assigned a college account ID they can use to register for online classes.
Colleges offer a wide range of student support services, such as academic advising, counseling, and online tutoring. Have these contacts bookmarked ahead of time.
Login in as soon as classes are available through your college's content management system, usually the first week of the semester. Students who fail to do so may lose their seat. Be sure to note all course requirements and deadlines.
How to be Successful at 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Learning
电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) learning is not for everyone. Following these five steps can help distance learners excel in the digital classroom.
Set aside time for study
Engage your professors and peers
Students need to be self-motivated and need good time management skills. 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) classes are not typically self-paced. Students need to realize there will be assignment due dates that need to be followed. A myth is online classes are easier than traditional classes – this is not the case. In online classes students also have to complete interactive discussions and group projects. Students need to check into their online class frequently and participate in online classes in order to succeed.
Brandy Scarnati, Truckee Meadows Community College
Additional Resources for 电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Learners
Here are 10 resources all community college and online students can use.
American Association of Community Colleges
Find community colleges and see what's going on at community colleges around the country.
Certificate and Associate Degree Pathways, National Student Clearinghouse Research Center
Learn more about associate degrees and see the ways they can lead to a bachelor's degree.
College Foundation of North Carolina
An excellent resource to help students understand the many ways to pay for college, as well as debt management and loan repayment options.
Students can make side-by-side comparisons of prospective colleges and learn more about enrollment, tuition costs and other key metrics.
Comprehensive guide to college programs, degrees and ways to pay for college from the U.S. Department of Education.
Completing the FAFSA 2018-1019
Everything students need to know about Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) tools to help students develop a plan to pay for college.
电竞赚钱决赛积分(电竞赚钱详情登录) Learning Resources
The National Education Association provides a comprehensive list of resources for distance learners and distance education faculty.
Regional & National Institutional Accrediting Agencies
Ensure your prospective college is properly accredited by one of these accrediting bodies.
Resources for Underprepared Students
Provides many different learning modules for students to increase their knowledge in key areas.